Pedestrian safety: Head up, phone down!
Each year, thousands of pedestrians are involved in fatal accidents. Follow these tips to stay safe:
- Stay alert – don't text while walking (if you must text, move out of the way of others and stop on the sidewalk)
- Never cross the street while using an electronic device
- Wear bright and/or reflective clothing while walking at night, and use a flashlight
- Always walk on the sidewalk - if no sidewalk is available, walk facing traffic
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing the street, making eye contact with drivers of oncoming vehicles
Since 2009, pedestrian fatalities have risen by 46%. Let's make our streets safer by committing to pedestrian safety.